Saturday 4 October 2014

Fashion: Denim + review of Steady Eddie Jeans (Nudie)

Since I got my job at the Weekly News and had disposable income for the first time since I was 17, I'm slowly putting together a decent wardrobe, albeit with a few misteps along the way (I'm looking at you £100 splurge on ill-fitting Crew Clothing tops).

My denim game has been seriously lacking, with just two pairs of jeans. In fact for about eight months I only had one pair I really liked, which I bought in October last year, a pair of skinny Nudie raws from ASOS. £89 but the fit was not perfect. The waist, at 36in, needed taken in and they could do with being an inch or so longer. 




I had bought them thinking I could wear them quite high on my waist as a smarter pair of jeans but the length and the shallow crotch mean they have to be worn on the hips rather than above them.  

In fact the fit is so different from what was pictured on the ASOS site I am now very sceptical about ordering jeans from the site and I definitely would have been better served ordering direct from the Nudie site myself.

Still they are very versatile and served me well, able to be dressed up with my brown brogues, or dressed down with a pair of Converse. The skinny nature meant they didn't go well with my chunky boots. 

A few months ago I bought my first pair of Levis 511s a fit I have heard great things about on my fashion gospel, r/malefashionadvice. They originally felt a little bit tight around the waist but they've now worn in naturally and fit well. 

Now... onto my new pair, which took a second attempt to get right. At first I ordered Thin Finn Dry Ecru Embo but as soon as I tried them on I knew the fit wasn't right. 


They were very tight around the thighs and calves, almost a skinny fit which is surprising when you look at the above picture. They might have stretched a bit but they were not what I was looking for. 

After some deliberation, I went for the Steady Eddie's Tonal Dry, a more baggy, casual fit. 



After posting my original pair back to Sweden (which cost a rather eyewatering £12) about 10 days later I got an email to say my return had been processed. Less than two days after that I had my new pair. And I love them. 

Don't get me wrong, they need a lot of work before they will be "my" jeans, the breaking in process is a long and arduous one. But all my first impressions are very positive, they fit very comfortably and are saggy without being scruffy. The colour is also darker than the one above and I expect them to fade and wear nicely.


They are also good and long - so much so I have to turn up the bottoms to avoid over-stacking above the ankles (a pet peeve of mine with saggy jeans). 

If I'm being hyper-critical the pockets could be an inch or two deeper but other than they were exactly what I was after. The button fly is great and the pair hang nicely off my hips. 



I'll have to write an update in a few months time once the jeans really start to break in and fade. But for now my denim game is up to three. Next on the list is the ever-versatile black pair. 


No comments:

Post a Comment